The Museum of Fine Ars of Valencia, San Pio V, was built between the 1683 and 1744 through the work of the architect Fray Juan Tomas de Rocaberti. Due to its artistic importance, the Museum is considered one of the most remarkable of the country. It has always enjoyed a good consideration thanks to the amount and the quality of the artworks it presents: it has an amazing and precious collection. It includes archeological remains as well as paintings and sculptures. The structure of the museum is made of different halls in which we can admire the great selection of masterpieces. Among all, it’s necessary to mention the Gothic painting hall, which presents both Valencian Gothic and International Gothic compositions and the one dedicated to Joaquin Sorolla, local artist of worldwide fame.
We can also see two Romanic pieces: the Font of the ornamental fountain (decoration in the form of a historiated frieze) and the capitals of the church of Santo Tomás (remains of the Romanesque style portal formed by six flared archivolts that rested on capitals that are supported on columns).
The whole building is composed of two part: the collegium with a quadrangular plan of three floors and the temple or the old church, which is attached to the rectangle with its octagonal plan and crowned with a blue dome. Its facade, work of José Mínguez, consists of two bodies, pilasters and a curvilinear pediment that finishes it. All of this is located in the passage area from Baroque to Neoclassicism.